Executive Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Oracle Corporation
- A new giant will be born.
- A corporation’s primary goal is to make money. Government’s primary role is to take a big chunk of that money and give it to others.
- Autonomy was shopped to us. We looked at the price and thought it was absurdly high.
- A year from now, we’ll have over 4,000 customers live on the e-business suite.
- Back in 1995, it was very clear to us that we had to stop doing desktop software and we don’t do any desktop Windows software… We moved everything to big internet servers. Our database is designed for the Internet.
- Bill Gates is the pope of the personal computer industry. He decides who’s going to build.
- Bill Gates wants people to think he’s Edison, when he’s really Rockefeller. Referring to Gates as the smartest man in America isn’t right… wealth isn’t the same thing as intelligence.
- Consumers just tell us everything about themselves.
- Despite what everyone says, our software is actually cheaper.
- If an innovative piece of software comes along, Microsoft copies it and makes it part of Windows,… This is not innovation. This is the end of innovation.
- I have had all of the disadvantages required for success.
- I’m addicted to winning. The more you win, the more you want to win.
- In most companies, one database replaces dozens of Exchange servers.
- I think the applications space will be diverse and complex five years from now.
- It’s Microsoft versus mankind, with Microsoft having only a slight lead.
- Life’s a journey. It’s journey about discovering limits.
- Microsoft isn’t good at security. We’re good at that and I don’t think sending a memo is going to help.
- My impression is that we’re gaining share, …More and more people are using Oracle.
- Our goal is very simply to become the desktop for e-businesses.
- Steve Jobs was the best at translating a good idea into a brilliant finished product.
- The complexity is in the software.
- The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women’s fashion.
- They don’t call it the Internet anymore, they call it cloud computing. I’m no longer resisting the name. Call it what you want.
- To model yourself after Steve Jobs is like, ‘I’d like to paint like Picasso, what should I do? Should I use more red?’
- We have been doing things that are contrary; the things that people tell us won’t work from the beginning. In fact, the only way to get ahead is to find errors in conventional wisdom.
- We have most of the software industry running Autonomy.
- We think a modern cloud lets you decide when you want to upgrade. We don’t decide for you.
- We will still be enormously profitable and by far the most profitable enterprise software company.
- What Microsoft is doing is patently illegal. Think about it. If you want to build computers, you’ve got to ask Bill’s permission, …If Bill wanted to triple the price on Windows, what would you do? You’d pay; you would have any choice.
- When you innovate, you’ve got to be prepared for everyone telling you you’re nuts.